ZZEE PHP GUI is a secure and easy-to-install PHP solution
for Windows with zero or little configuration.
It sets up in seconds and works out-of-the-box.
It allows to run PHP scripts in webbrowser/webserver (GUI) mode by double clicking on them.
PHP files or links to them don't have to reside in a special directory,
they can be in any folder, on the desktop or in the Start Menu.
- Zero or little configuration. Everything works immediately out-of-the-box.
- Secure. Nobody can connect to the built-in webserver - just you,
because ZZEE PHP GUI doesn't use TCP/IP to emulate webserver / webbrowser interaction.
No need to configure any firewalls or to harden the webserver.
- There are no conflicts with any webservers (Apache, IIS, etc) or other PHP installations.
- It can run PHP scripts when you double click on them.
Click on a PHP script in My Computer (Windows Explorer), on the desktop or in any folder to run it.
- No special document root folder - your PHP scripts can be anywhere in your computer, on any drive.
- The built-in webbrowser is based on Internet Explorer and thus is compatible with the most popular webbrowser.
even if your Internet Explorer is tightened to the maximum for safe surfing.
No zones to configure.
- Everything is one click away. You can easily access php.ini, HTTP and error logs.
- You can integrate Perl and other script interpreters with ZZEE PHP GUI, the program also supports CGI exe files.
- The built-in webserver can understand .htaccess files, its logs are compatible with Apache.
- There is no permanent server process running.
- OS: Windows Vista / XP / Server 2003 / 2000 with IE 5.5 or higher
- You can rapidly develop Windows GUI applications by employing the familiar
PHP web paradigm.
Thanks to ZZEE PHP GUI, PHP scripts can become full-featured Windows programs.
Re-use your code for both online and Windows desktop applications.
Note: if you want to compile a Windows exe from your PHP code, please see
- You can test your PHP code without uploading it to a website.
- You can automate your daily and business tasks with PHP: parse HTML and text,
connect to databases, manipulate PDF and Office files, use XML, SOAP, COM and more.
PHP has interfaces to all popular databases.
PHP is scalable - you can easily transfer your applications to a webserver
or back to the desktop.
- You can deploy your desktop PHP applications throughout your enterprise with ZZEE PHP GUI.
With our affordable Corporate License you can get a fixed price
for an unlimited number of users.
- If you are a developer and ship open source PHP scripts to your clients to run on their desktop,
one of the best ways is to have them install ZZEE PHP GUI.
- An internal webserver which doesn't use TCP/IP
- An internal webbrowser (Internet Explorer based) running with high permissions,
which offers maximum possibilities
- One of the latest versions of PHP, coming with all standard modules
- PHP includes SQLite - an SQL-compatible zero-configuration embedded database engine. Both SQLite and SQLite PDO modules are preconfigured.
- PHP bcompiler module is also included and preconfigured. You can run compiled PHP code as well.
- Fix: Language switching via the keyboard (using Alt+Shift). This bug affected some XP systems.
- PHP is downgraded to 5.2.5.
- Added a new internal cookie storage independent from Internet Explorer
- Handling of cookies without domain name or path is fixed
- Cookies are fixed when ISAPI is used
- AJAX. Now you can get HTTP response status code and headers in XMLHttpRequest
- Popup windows behavior fixed
- Other small changes are made
- PHP 5.2.6 is included.
- Some of the core has been remade
- Some GUI changes are made
- The core has been remade
- ISAPI interface is implemented
- PHP is configured to use the ISAPI interface by default, PHP/ISAPI scripts run up to 6 times faster than PHP/CGI scripts
- Some GUI changes are made (HTML title is being displayed, new menu version is used)
- PHP v 5.2.4 is included (except mysql dlls, which are from 5.2.1)
- Program renamed to ZZEE PHP GUI
- Browser's user interface and the Settings are improved
- Some Vista compatibility issues are fixed
- Some minor bugs are fixed
- User interface is remade
- PHP 5.2.1 is included.
- IE7 and Windows Vista compatibility issues are fixed.
- A memory leak is fixed.
- Some minor changes are made.
- Comes with PHP 5.2.
- Some minor changes are made.
- The program now includes the bcompiler PHP module.
- Windows file associations handling is remade.
- Some minor changes are made.
First public release as ZZEE Script GUI for PHP
If you install the program over version 1.x,
then the configuration file won't get overwritten,
and thus you won't have the ISAPI interface enabled.
To switch to the ISAPI interface, you need to
go to the Settings and select ISAPI
in the Main > PHP.
You can not install ZZEE PHP GUI over ZZEE Script GUI for PHP.
You need to uninstall ZZEE Script GUI for PHP first, and then install ZZEE PHP GUI.
If you want to keep your settings, before you have uninstalled the old product,
go to a folder where you have installed ZZEE Script GUI for PHP
(typically it is C:\Program Files\ZZEE\ScriptGUI),
and copy file "config.xml" somewhere. After the installation, replace new "config.xml"
by the one you have saved.
ZZEE PHP GUI has a "webserver", it doesn't use TCP/IP and no-one can connect to it,
it is only availabe for the built-in webbrowser. The server has the following features:
- CGI, it can be integrated with any CGI script interpreters, such as Perl
- ISAPI (only PHP has been tested, compatibility with others is not guaranteed)
- Virtual hosts
- Directory aliases
- Custom error documents
- Custom directory index files
- Redirection via the Location header
- Both private and system-wide file extensions to media types assignments
- Understands .htaccess files (some of the instructions)
- Error and customizable access logs
What it doesn't have:
- Password protection for directories and files.
- Server-side includes (SSI)
Virtual hosts are needed to create independent namespaces
for each of the websites or PHP software projects
that you develop.
This is done in Settings > Virtual Hosts.
Thus you can use absolute URLs with ZZEE PHP GUI
in the form of http://example.com/file.php.
When virtual hosts are created, double-clicking a script
located in the directory of a virtual host,
will launch the script in the context of this host.
For instance, you have a virtual host "example.com",
and the Document Root of this website is
And there is file "script.php" in it,
Without a virtual host, it will be launched by ZZEE PHP GUI as
If you have configured the virtual host, it will be launched as
Creating these virtual hosts will not affect anything else on your computer
or your website, as these settings are only valid for ZZEE PHP GUI.
Both error and access logs are reset for each session. It means when you
launch a new instance of ZZEE PHP GUI, it clears the old logs and starts them over.
Both logs are easily accessible from the top toolbar of the browser.
You can change the format of the access log in the Settings > Other.
ZZEE PHP GUI has a webbrowser, which is based on Internet Explorer.
It conforms to that version of IE, which is installed on your computer.
Therefore it is highly compatible.
Because it deals primarily with trusted content,
the browser runs with high permissions and has enabled most of the things that a browser
may support, including:
- Image displaying
- Session cookies
Availability of these features doesn't depend on whether they are turned on or off
in your Internet Explorer.
In addition to Internet Explorer's cookie storage,
ZZEE PHP GUI uses its own jar, and therefore session cookies will be supported even
if Internet Explorer blocks all cookies.
Because the internal webbrowser runs with high permissions, it is vulnerable
to malicious content. To safeguard it from possibly dangerous code,
there is the "internet lock" feature.
It means that if the browser needs to get a file from the internet (i.e.
not from the internal webserver), be it an HTML file, or inline image, or
stylesheet, or any other file, then it won't be able to do it,
if ZZEE PHP GUI is locked.
You can lock or unlock the webbrowser at any time, clicking the button on the top toolbar.
Use the checkbox at Settings > Main to permanently turn the internet lock on / off.
The program comes with the preconfigured PHP of one of the latest versions.
To edit the "php.ini" file, click the PHP button at the top toolbar.
The following important settings of PHP are initially set to:
- register_globals is set to "on"
- magic_quotes_gpc is set to "off"
- display_errors is set to "on"
- log_errors is set to "on"
You can change them by editing the "php.ini" file.
You can download the PHP manual from the PHP website:
You can evaluate the software during 30 days only, after that you must obtain a license.
To find out the current price and to buy your copy visit our web site:
The evaluation version has the following limitations:
- The red evaluation band is shown on the browser
- You can not turn off the user interface
- No more than one script interpreter is allowed
- No more than one virtual webhost is allowed
First of all look into the error log or error messages on screen.
The possible reasons are:
- You haven't created a needed virtual host, and the webserver interprets
the paths/URLs incorrectly.
- A PHP module that you need either is not loaded - you need to edit
"php.ini" to enable it - or not installed.
You need to install it in the latter case.
To avoid this you need to remove ZZEE PHP GUI domain name
(it is either zzee.php.gui, or 127.0.0.1, or localhost)
from the list of Trusted sites or Local intranet sites in Internet Explorer.
This list is in Tools > Internet Options > Security
> Local intranet or Trusted site > Sites button.
If you experience problems with your virtual servers, then
remove their names or aliases from Trusted or Local Intranet sites
in Internet Explorer as well.
By default the php.ini comes with the settings that print all error messages and
warnings onto the browser. To turn this feature off, click the PHP button on the top
toolbar, and find the following line in the php.ini file:
display_errors = On
Replace "on" by "off", then save the file.
ZZEE PHP GUI comes with interfaces to all popular databases, including
Mysql, PostgreSQL, MSSQL, Oracle, IBM DB2, SQLite, Firebird, Informix, etc.
Some of them are enabled by default.
Take a look in the PHP's manual how to use them,
the manual is available at the PHP's website at www.php.net
ZZEE PHP GUI installation contains SQLite, a fast embedded SQL-compliant database. You
don't have to install anything to be able to use SQLite - it is available right away -
create databases, tables, fill them with data, extract and manipulate it.
ZZEE PHP GUI comes with the most popular modules. Some of them are enabled
by default and some are not, because extra modules use more memory and slow down the performance.
You can enable them by editing the php.ini file.
Typically modules are enabled via statements like:
You need to either uncomment a commented line (if it exists),
or add a new line like above (if it is missing).
All dlls for the modules are located in the directory where you have installed ZZEE PHP GUI.
Replace all PHP files in the folder where you have installed ZZEE PHP GUI
by the newer version of PHP binaries which you can take from the
you would do in a normal webbrowser.
in this version of ZZEE PHP GUI. You need to pass the size of the pop-up window
in the window.open() like in the example above.
If you need to specify the size at run time, you can dynamically build the parameters'
window.open(url, "_blank", "width=" + neededWidth + ",height=" + neededHeight);
window can be closed with window.close() only if ZZEE PHP GUI browser's user interface
is disabled (you can disable it in Settings > Main). If it is enabled, you need to use
Install Perl on your computer and then:
- Add a script interpreter in the Settings > Main.
It is recommended that you specify "application/x-httpd-perl" as the Media type.
- Associate Perl file extensions (like ".pl" or perhaps ".cgi") with
"application/x-httpd-perl" in Settings > Media Types
- If you are going to use Perl CGI.pm module, make sure that a script will be able to see it.
For example, you can place CGI.pm and accompanying files in the document root
or script alias for a virtual host.
Similarly you can intergrate other script interpreters.
The only requirement is that
they must be able to work in the CGI mode,
i.e. read from the standard input and write to the standard output.
You also can use compiled executable files in CGI mode, they are supported by ZZEE PHP GUI
right away. Special media type "application/x-httpd-exe" is responsible for that.
Flash and PDF files that are passed from the
built-in webserver to the internal webbrowser must be cached. Cache settings are
defined in Settings > Cache.
In this version of ZZEE PHP GUI this feature is not supported.
You need to specify the required encoding in the header of an PHP/HTML file like:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Specifying the default charset in the .htaccess file will not help
in this version of ZZEE PHP GUI. Though the webserver understands the instruction
and correctly passes it to the webbrowser, the Internet Explorer control doesn't seem
to understand this. We are working on how to pass charset to
the IE webbrowser control.
If you issue a Content-Disposition attachment HTTP header and specify a filename there,
then only the filename extension will be used by the webbrowser
for the default value of the filename to "save as".
Content-disposition: attachment; filename="mydoc.pdf"
In this case internal webbrowser will suggest a name like "url.pdf".
We are working on how to pass the full filename to the IE webbrowser control
in the Content-Disposition header.
Ctrl+N keyboard shortcut is surpressed for the onkeydown event.
Use other combinations or handle them on the onkeyup event.
You can select text only if browser's user interface is disabled.
You can disable it in the Settings.
Context menu (when a user clicks the right mouse button) is available only
if browser's user interface is disabled. You can disable it in the Settings.
ISAPI doesn't have a convenient error logging mechanism like CGI does.
We recommend switching to CGI API in the Settings > Main > PHP, if you want to
see errors in the error log.
- MS filter progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader may not work properly in IE6,
other filters seem to work fine. AlphaImageLoader is a filter needed for IE6 and older
browsers to load PNG images with transparent background.
- On Windows XP SP2, if you enable user interface for ZZEE PHP GUI,
you won't be allowed to navigate to the first level domains like "http://test/",
you can only use second level domains like "http://test.com/".